Gulliver & Tyler

Founded in 1890, Gulliver and Tyler carries the name of two of Rangiora's early businessmen and one of the town's longest serving mayors.

Herbert Gulliver was in business around the turn of the 20th century, hiring horses to draw his funeral carriages from another Rangiora firm, C. A. Tyler and Sons.

Charles Tyler served as Rangiora's mayor from 1939 to 1961 and his distinguished service to the community was recognised in 1950 with an OBE.

In 1959 Mark Pearson returned to Rangiora and rented Charles Tyler's premises. In 1960 the company built and opened premises in Albert Street, providing Rangiora with its first funeral chapel for interdenominational services. Over the next 33 years, Gulliver and Tyler developed under Mark Pearson's direction.

In 1992, Ian and Philip Seal purchased Gulliver and Tyler, carrying on the long tradition of both local and family ownership. The firm continued to operate from the Albert Street premises.

During this time, Flaxton Park, on Lineside Road has been under development, providing cremation facilities, which are already being utilised, and providing administration offices and comfortable surroundings; most important when meeting the needs of bereaved families. Gulliver and Tyler will retain a presence in the Rangiora township, operating from their administration office which is now sited at 367 High Street, Rangiora, with the balance of our operation located with North Canterbury Cremations at 135 Youngs Road, corner Lineside Road & Youngs Road.

Flaxton Park, adjacent to Mr. Philip Seal's home property, will be planted in native trees, creating a peaceful environment for families.

At the end of December 2009, Gulliver & Tyler with Richard & Dawn Spark started construction of Northbrook Chapel at Rossburn Receptions. Gulliver & Tyler and the families have in the past utilised Rossburn Receptions for funeral services so it was a natural step for the Chapel to be built there, giving families a peacefully as well as a rural outlook. The chapel is in keeping with the rural theme, seating for 150 persons, with the adjacent Reception area utilised for extra seating if required & or for  catering.

Helping families create a well-planned, personalised service is a privilege and very important to the staff at Gulliver and Tyler. Their philosophy is that they will do as much or as little as the family wants. The Seal family is proud that Gulliver and Tyler has been serving North Canterbury for almost 120 years and is conscious of living up to the tradition and history of the company.

Services

  • Leading funeral directing professionals
  • Decades of experience
  • Qualified Expertise
  • Professional Advice
  • Personalised Funeral Services
  • Professional Registered Male and Female Funeral Directors
  • Modern Centrally Located Chapel
  • Post Funeral Bereavement Support

More »

 

Contact Us

P.O. Box 35, Rangiora

Phone  03 313 8222 or Kaiapoi 03 327 7249
Fax 03 313 0930
Email admin@gulliver-tyler.co.nz

Alternatively please complete our
enquiry form.